NOTICE: 11/24/2021 - Carbon County has 40 active COVID cases.

1st Half of 2021 REAL ESTATE AND 2nd HALF 2021 MOBILE HOME TAXES ARE DUE NOV 30, 2021.             Payment may be made online at under property tax search – tax payment search – enter tax number or name, click on pay. Payments will also be accepted at the Banks of Joliet or Bridger, whether you have an account with them or not. A November 30, 2021 postmark will be accepted.
HB702 Prohibits discrimination based on a person's vaccination status or possession of an immunity passport.  View full requirements.
Fire/Emergency information at  

Sheriff’s Office

The Carbon County Sheriff’s Office provides law enforcement, emergency services, and community service to the area.

Sheriff’s Office Website

Mary Cameron, DUI Task Force Coordinator


To reduce the percentage of alcohol related crashes, deaths, and incidents in Carbon County; to increase the conviction rate of DUIs and MIPs; and mostly to elevate the awareness, prevention, and education of legal consequences to driving drunk.

Partnership with

  • Carbon County Sheriff’s Department
  • Red Lodge City Police
  • Carbon County Mental Health Department
  • Carbon County Attorney’s Office
  • Red Lodge City Attorney’s Office
  • Youth Court
  • And other local law enforcement agencies

Meeting Information

Responsible Alcohol Sales and Service (RASS) class: TBA (please contact Mary Cameron if you are interested)

1. Fill out the application

2. Permits are issued by appointment only Monday-Friday 8:00 A.M. to 4:00 P.M.

3. In order for the permit to be issued, you MUST:

  • Be a Carbon County resident
  • Provide valid driver’s license or I.D. card
  • Provide proof of weapons training (Hunter Safety, DD214 Military, Approved training, ect.)

A first-time permit cost is $50, and a four-year renewal is $25. (Payment must be made with exact cash or check.)

Please visit the Montana Department of Justice for more information.

Montana law allows people to carry concealed weapons if he or she has a valid Montana or out-of-state permit to do so.

No weapons, concealed or otherwise, are allowed in school buildings in Montana.

Even with a concealed weapons permit, you may not carry a concealed weapon in the following places:

  • buildings owned or leased by the federal, state or local government
  • financial institutions
  • any place where alcoholic beverages are sold, dispensed and consumed

In addition, be sure to check local regulations, which may restrict carrying concealed weapons at public meetings, and in public parks, and buildings.

County Sheriffs can provide information on where concealed weapons are prohibited in their counties.

Montana has no prohibitions against carrying a weapon in a motor vehicle.